There is something innately American about road trips. In our country’s early years, pioneers embarked on travels through the Wild West, romanticizing ideas of adventure and opportunity. Today, nothing facilitates our preoccupation with the open road like a powerful car and a gracious speed limit. On the welcome road is a weekend pass to follow our own purgatives, freed from our daily routine.
This Labor Day weekend, take your place among a throng of adventure hungry drivers. No matter where you call home, there’s a route out there waiting for you. Here are our favorite road trip paths from across the country. Plus, we have a few recommendations on what you’ll need to make the experience even sweeter.
Seattle, WA to Vancouver, B.C (2.5 hours)
Sure, Seattle’s the birthplace of grunge rock and super-caffeinated coffee, but it’s also freckled with amazing wineries and vineyards! Plan a route that puts you in the way of the award-winning wines this area, and British Columbia, is famous for.
In its dense and diverse territory, Vancouver is home to many ethnic groups. This wealth of culture feeds the city’s culinary scene. Travel the world through each meal, and hike off the calories in one of Vancouver’s beautiful parks.
- Remember to pack: Delysia’s Wine Chocolate Truffle Collection. This 9 piece truffle set is a delicious assortment of rich chocolate, infused with Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Port. A perfect companion for a wine tasting weekend.
Los Angeles, CA to Big Sur (6 hours)
Amalfi and Positano may be the gems of Italy, but right here in Big Sur you’ve got mountains, water, and a well preserved piece of land covered in trees just like the famous Euro destination. Plan to set up camp somewhere above the ocean and fall asleep listening to the waves dance along the coast.
L.A., of course, is famous for its incorrigible traffic jams. Get out of the city well before (or after) rush hour.
- Remember to pack: Our mouthwatering S’mores Bark. The texture and taste of this handcrafted chocolate bar, which includes our own handmade marshmallows, was made for campfires.
Austin, TX to Gruene, New Braunfels, TX (1 hour)
Gruene (pronounced like green) is a time capsule of a town complete with its original town hall, general store, and founder’s mansion from the late 1800s – which is now open as an inn for tourists. This city is a favorite among country music legends and country music lovers alike. You can even learn some fancy footwork; join a line dance in an old town bar.
- Remember to pack: Delysia’s Texas Truffle Collection. With our home being in Austin, let’s just say we’re partial to The Lone Star State. In this collection, we’ve gathered our favorite local elements: fresh lavender, prickly pear, and locally harvested honey. Savor each bite as you get a feel for times gone by.
Tampa, FL to Biloxi, MS (8 hours)
Along the gulf coast, you’ll find one of a kind beaches and wildlife. Set aside a few hours to walk through a park before heading into Biloxi. A town of casinos and beaches, Biloxi is an ideal destination for lovers of feasts, party boats, and white sand. Bonus: The entire coast here is free and open to the public.
- Remember to pack: Our White Chocolate Truffle Collection. It’s a smooth, creamy, assortment of white chocolate, chai, and strawberry truffles that perfectly echos the white sand beaches of Biloxi.
Shenandoah National Park in Virgina to Cherokee, NC (6.5 hours)
Blue Ridge Parkway is a road and park lined in colorful foliage, most vibrant in the fall season. Along this path is a plethora of bed and breakfasts, diners, and craft beer breweries. Translation: This trip has nothing to do with the destination. It’s all about the journey. Take it slow to fully appreciate the national parks, landmarks, and hidden treasures that line your route.
- Remember to pack: During the evening hours, when the wind is blowing through your hair and the stars are lighting your way, you’ll hear one consistent song in the air: the singing of crickets. Inspired, or annoyed, you’ll find our new Chocolate Bug Collection to be the most ideal treat. Packed with protein and fiber, this truffle collection features mealworms, grasshoppers, and crickets, roasted and dipped in chocolate. An adventurous treat for an adventurous getaway.